Thursday, August 5, 2010

Not Back-To-School Blog Hop

I've just discovered the "Not Back-To-School Blog Hop" started over at http://heartofthematteronline.com. I've just become a blog follower, so I thought I'd dust off this blog and give it a try. The topic for this week is curriculum, so here it goes...

This year I will have a 6th grader, a 3rd grader, a Kindergartener, and a tag-along.

I'll start with shared subjects:
Science-
Both H (6th grade) and M (3rd grade) will be doing God's Design for Life series. We are doing all three books in the series which are Plants, Animals, and the Human Body.


        We also use Nature Friend Magazine for science.


History-
We are starting with TruthQuest's Ancient Egypt and Greece and will probably move on to Ancient Rome as time permits.  Our goal is to move through to the Middle Ages and Renaissance/Reformation/Exploration eventually, but I'm assuming it will take a good 2 years.



Bible - Both H and M are going to continue their devotion books; Gotta Have God and God and Me! We also will be starting a book by Kay Arthur called Boy Have I Got Problems which is a study of the book of James.

Current Events - God's World News


Now for the 6th grader:
Math - We'll be continuing with MathUSee. This year she'll be starting Zeta.

Writing/Lang. Arts/Grammar -

We use the Classical Writing series. H will be working on Classical Writing Homer B combined with Harvey's Grammar. Also she'll be doing Classical Writing Poetry, which she is very much looking forward to. I can't speak highly enough about these books. They are wonderful. It takes some effort on the part of the teacher, but it's well worth the result. Last year M did the Primer books and they are fabulous. I can't wait to use them again with my two youngest children.


Latin - If you're interested in a Latin program, we've been really pleased with Lively Latin.

Reading - Various books to go along with our history program and anything else she feels like reading. She loves to read, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Now for the 3rd grader:
Math - Once again we're going with MathUSee Gamma.

Spelling - Spelling Workout Level C

Language Arts/Grammar - Classical Writing Aesop A (see above for link)

Handwriting - Classically Cursive

Reading - Elson Reader Book 3 (which he actually started last year) and any other books. He loves to read so my challenge is keeping him supplied with enough books.

And finally the Kindergartener:
Math - MathUSee Primer (See a pattern? We love MathUSee!)
Learning to read - AlphaPhonics and Explode the Code books 1 and 2 (We'll start with any beginning reader books as soon as he's ready. We have the Frog and Toad books, Dick and Jane, Little Bear, etc.)
He will also tag along with our history and science. I'll probably have him make a lapbook/notebook of our science projects, so he can color, cut, and follow along with us.

I think I've covered everything, but who knows. I'll probably realize later that I've left something out.



3 comments:

  1. Math U See is a great curriculum! I used to use it with my two older kids. Your plans look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice Math U See has a lot of fans. I'll have to check that out. My daughter is also going into 3rd grade. Hope you have a wonderful year~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm stopping over from the Blog Hop (I'm #183 and hope you can visit me, too). I hope you have a wonderful year! :^)

    ReplyDelete