Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Making dill pickle relish

This summer my cucumbers have been plentiful....very very plentiful. I haven't made pickles in many years, but M loves dill relish, so I thought I'd try my hand at it. After searching for a while I decided on this recipe.


Ingredients :
9 small field cucumbers (about 3 lb/1.5 kg)
2 onions
1/4 cup (50 mL) pickling salt
3 cups (750 mL) white vinegar
3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) each dill seeds and mustard seeds

 First cut the cucumbers in chunks and, in batches, pulse in a food processor to finely chop. Do the same thing with the onion. (I might try less onion next time.)

 Next add the salt to the mixture and let it sit for 1 hour. Then, drain the mixture, rinse it in cold water, and drain again, pressing out all the excess moisture.
 In a large pan bring to a boil the vinegar, sugar, dill seeds, mustard seeds, and garlic.
 Garlic is good for you. Go ahead...add it. Yum!
 When it comes to a boil add in the cucumber mixture. Bring the whole thing back to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
Pour the relish into prepared canning jars.
Process them in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.


We haven't actually tried our relish yet, other than a little taste before it went into the jars. I'll keep you posted on whether we like it and would do it again. I also made dill pickle spears, hamburger dill slices, and pickled green beans (dilly beans). Then, while the canning stuff was still out I canned 3 quarts of tomatoes. Phew. Just writing all that makes me tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment