Saturday, August 28, 2010

Gardening

We decided to try something new this year and grow peanut plants. If you don't know how these plants grow, it's really neat.  First off, the plant will produce pretty yellow flowers like this.



Oh goodness....I hope you're not noticing all those lovely weeds.


Then after the flower dies, these cool shoots grow down from where the flower was. They grow down into the soil, and that is where the peanut grows.

I'll have to remember to take pictures when we harvest them. My plants might be a little behind what they could have been because they were shaded by my pea plants for a while. Now they get plenty of sun and are hopefully making enough peanuts for us to have a few!!


As for the rest of the vegetable garden, it is still going strong. I'm still picking green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, peppers, and our zucchini plant has some little zucchinis on it! To back up, my zucchini plant died quite early in the summer after only producing 4 zucchinis. I decided to try planting again. Both plants (I planted 2 seeds and both came up) look quite healthy! Yay! Here's a look at what I picked yesterday. It was so pretty, I just had to take a picture. A stuck his chubby little fingers in the picture too. Aren't they cute little fingers?

No comments:

Post a Comment